We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
We talk about children with verbal incontinence When the child does not stop talking, uncontrollably, interrupts the conversations of others, gets into conversations with adults ...
Normally when children learn to speak and discover the world of language, they do not stop ... they talk all the time, they ask questions, they talk alone or with their dolls, you are driving and you hear them in the back seat talking non-stop even though they have no audience ... and this although tiring, is in a certain point normal and well, they have just discovered that new ability. It is important at this time, to teach children the rules of interpersonal communication, (word turns, appropriate tone of voice, how to address people ...)
But when children not only talk non-stop, but do not listen to the other person, interrupt, speak at the same time as the other person, even disrespect, this behavior can cause problems both in the family and in social relationships or in the classroom, therefore it must be attended to and analyzed in order to find a solution.
The first thing we have to establish are the causes of this "uncontrolled speech". Possible causes:
- Emotional. It is convenient to consider the possible existence of some type of emotional discomfort or external stressor that causes anxiety and manifests it with nervous verbiage. Children who continually ask about everything that happens around them, may present a certain degree of insecurity or anxiety, and asking about everything is a way to have control of the environment and therefore be more calm.
- Behavioral. When children talk too much, they interrupt the conversations of parents or adults ... We find here children who are too egocentric and who want to be the center of attention of parents and adults and they talk and talk non-stop so that we will listen to them .
- Of neurological / biological origin. In this case we are talking about impulsive children, ADHD ... In this case, uncontrolled speech is a consequence of the child's lack of self-control, and the speech affects the same as the rest of the areas of his life. In this case, this uncontrolled speech is a consequence of the difficulties they have to control and inhibit behavior, organize thought and speech.
- Children with high capacities: profuse verbal fluency can make it difficult to suppress the desire to speak and develop listening habits.
Since this verbal incontinence usually causes problems at a social level in children, (parents scold them, teachers scold them, even friends complain that they "talk too much") it is advisable to act in this sense and re-educate behavior and teach communication patterns in children.
We must always take into account the age of the children, their personal characteristics, their development in order to establish the causes of this verbal "incontinence" and be able to redirect it properly. In general, some guidelines to control this behavior in children:
- Teach and practice active listening.
- Think before speaking, structure the speech.
- Learn to respect word turns. We can use color codes to establish speaking turns at home or in class.
- If it is due to calls for attention, (the child wants to be the center) we must establish very clear guidelines of behavior at home, ignore the child when he gets into other people's conversations, establish consequences for unwanted behavior and prize for the desired one.
- Be patient, Do not scold or get angry if the problem comes from a difficulty to control impulses, high capacity or because they are at that age where they talk non-stop.
You can read more articles similar to Children with verbal incontinence, in the On-site Learning category.